Saturday, July 9, 2011

And so it begins


This past Friday, my fellow MACers and I had our first class in a course titled Teaching with Technology.  As part of the introductions, we were asked to explain why we wanted to become teachers.  You would think this particular question would have come up in the early days of the program, but it took nearly three weeks for a professor to ask us to share our thoughts.  In retrospect, I think it was better things happened this way.  Had the question been asked earlier on in the program, I probably would have been concentrating so hard on remembering everyone’s name that I wouldn’t have been able to really listen to anyone’s response.  At this stage of the program, however, we all know each other a little bit better, and so the thoughts and stories shared by each cohort member were more meaningful, at least on my end.  Several of the stories truly inspired me, and I thank you all for sharing.

Changing gears back to technology, I feel obliged to start the year by admitting that technology and I aren’t exactly the best of friends.  I can’t even begin to count the number of times I have had to call home for help while away at school because my printer wasn’t working, or because I couldn’t get the internet to work, or because my computer screen went black with a flashing bright-red warning sign (true story).  So I feel like I have a right to be a bit skeptical about technology.  On the flip side, as much as I rant and yell at my computer when it is not cooperating, I still have to admit that I don’t know what I’d do without it.  And I will be the first to admit that, frustrating or not, technology does have its uses.

Though my experience with technology in high school was limited and not particularly helpful when utilized, I am excited to learn about the possibilities of using technology in my own chemistry classroom.  I can already foresee the day when I will come across an experiment I would love to have my students perform only to find out that the school does not have the resources to allow for such an activity.  With the use of technology, however, I am not limited to experiments that can only be performed in the school’s laboratory.  So in that respect, I am quite excited about the advantages technology can have in a classroom setting.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I am a skeptical optimist when it comes to teaching with technology.  I’m not entirely sure if it makes sense to be both skeptical and optimistic about something, but there you go.

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you're saying about skepticism coupled with optimism. I find myself currently in the same position with technology in the classroom. I've seen technology used both for better and worse in classrooms. I think it'll be good for all of us to give it a chance - as you say, to be excited about the possible advantages. I think it'll take all of us a bit of practice (probably our whole teaching careers) to figure out ways to use technology for the Greater Good, if you will.

    I'll also note that I too am really interested in and concerned about what role technology plays when schools don't have many resources. I wonder how many low-cost tech options we'll learn about in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should definitely be optimistic and skeptical about technology. The founding fathers were skeptical about the liberation of America. they were optimistic about what the country could become, but they were also skeptical about individual freedom and continued to try and unite the country. In the same way, I think we as teachers need to strike the perfect balance between optimism and skepticism. Hopefully this class helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about the why-we-want-to-teach question. It's weird that it wasn't brought up sooner, but it meant more when I knew a little about everyone first. There was a personality for the story to fit into.

    One nice thing is that a lot of high schools/districts have tech people, so you can incorporate technology into your classroom knowing you have someone to call when you get a blue screen of death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have similar feelings when it comes to computer resources at schools. Coming from a physics background where computers can be extremely useful in studying the concepts. I don't know how to ask for my resources or even who to approach without looking like a greedy jerk.

    I am also nervous about monitoring student use of the internet in class. I would like students to use the net for actual educational purposes rather than wasting time on facebook and twitter. I am a person that hates censorship, but I want to be sure my students are being responsible in using the internet. I guess my issue is trust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in a similar situation when it comes to being up to speed with social networking with technology. I have found that our classmates have been super supportive about it in general. They have given me many tips on how to handle keeping the information appropriately private. There is already a supportive community of people going through this journey with us.
    I relate to your optimistic skepticism. I am looking forward to using technology in a positive way to enhance lesson plans. I don't have a picture of what that will be yet, but I'm sure we will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone might be surprised by how many resources are going to be available to them, esp free resources. I know for physics there are a ton of simulation programs, but not only that, a lot of the fun videos, (think mentos and mythbusters) can be that hook to get your students interested in what you are gonna be talking about when you can apply it to things that go boom (or fawoosH)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your skeptical optimism, Kaitlyn! Also love your computer failing you stories. My computer once started smoking in the middle of the ugli. People were staring, it smelled funny, there was goo dripping. It wasn't pretty. But like you, I would be lost without technology. It's a hard thing for me to admit because as a college freshman I had never heard of Facebook, never seen an iPod and never sent a single text, and I was happy that way. I guess to an extent I've evolved with the times, but I can't say I'm entirely thrilled about it.

    ReplyDelete